Is the product made of real leather, so called genuine leather ?
No, There’s different type of leather could be called made by real leather and the genuine leather is the lowest quality of all products made out of real leather. real leather doesn’t equal to to genuine leather.
How to Identify Genuine Leather seat cover
When you are successful, expect many friends because associating with you will bring positive change in the lives of those people relating with you. If this is true, then it is not surprising that some seat cover sellers are claiming that their seat covers are of genuine leather quality when it’s not true. To have a real leather seat cover means a boost to the value the car. But unless you know how to identify genuine leather seat cover, you may be sold an inferior quality seat cover as genuine leather.
The rule of the thumb in choosing a genuine leather seat cover is to be able to identify it and not depend on a second or third to do that for you. To help you choose real leather, this article will take you through a step by step process of identifying a genuine leather seat cover.
Identifying real leather from counterfeit
There are various methods to know imitation from the genuine leather product. To help you understand how to know real leather, we will discuss the following:
Understanding the different types of real leather
The first thing you want to do is known the various types of leather out there. Your first job is to know that genuine leather is made from animal skin. Animal skins are of the same property like a friend once told me, skin is skin, whether of goat or lion, but the process of arriving at the market grade for each leather product differs and for this reason, you will find the following genuine leather seat cover types in the market:
- Full Grain Leather. The highest quality grade of leather and most expensive. If you are familiar with the wood industry, the denser wood is, the harder it is. For the leather materials, the more the grain, the finer is the leather and stronger. If you need high-quality genuine leather, make sure to go for any product that promises full grain when shopping for a genuine leather seat cover.
- Top Grain Leather. This grade of skin leather follows the Full Grain. It is top quality leather but the grain is not up to the full leather quality. Of course, you may not expect the same quality you will get from Full Grain, but a Top Grain gets you a lower price and high-quality material.
- Genuine leather. This type of leather is produced from full or top grain leather but with an addition of other materials of lesser quality and price to give sometime close to the real leather quality material. Genuine leather is usually grade-specific, and different manufacturers have various grades of genuine leather seat covers in the market.
- Bonded leather. If you are familiar with the wood industry again, you may have heard of sawdust woods where wood dust is used to product plywood materials of different grades and types. In like manner, shavings from full and top leather grades as ground up and bonded together to make leather. While the ingredient of the product is from real leather, the process of arriving at the final product is a subject of industrial manipulation. You can expect the same grain quality as you would have in the full and top grain leathers.
Different ways to examine and determine a real leather seat cover
Now that you know the different types of genuine leather materials, you also need to know how to identify them. The following are ways you can identify quality leather material when shopping for the genuine leather seat cover.
- Marketing claim. Every retailer will use their most significant benefits and product quality in their sales pitch to attract the customer. However, every genuine business understands the issue of trust with regards to the promise made. If the seller didn’t mention real leather in their marketing pitch and use such terms as handmade material, you are dealing with leather imitation, not real leather. Remember that if it’s not real leather, no amount of sales pitch should lure you to buy something else if real leather is what you want.
- Personal observation. You will need to take a piece of the leather sample to check for the grain, the fell and the look of the material. You need to know that real leather will not look perfect and smooth all through because it is a given animal and the natural skin will not look machine perfect. When you pick it up, check for scratches, wrinkles, and creases.
- Natural checks. To check for real leather, you will be looking out for real dry skin look but of course, you know it has undergone some manufacturing process and now is more polished and fines than rough skin. When you press real leather with your finger, it will look rigid and retains its shape, unlike the synthetic leather that will collapse and lose its shape.
- The fire experiment. I like the fire test because it gives you what you need. When you expose real leather to fire for about 10 minutes, you will perceive hair burnt odor and char burn, but imitation leather will burst into flame and smell like burnt rubber.
- The water test. You know skin will absorb any moderate water that falls on it, but synthetic leather will retain the water on top because it does not have the kind of grain pores of the real leather material.
- The price check. Anything like leather will be ridiculously cheap and affordable for anyone, but real leather is expensive. When you want real leather, you should know that the price they charge is the price worth of the quality material and real leather is not as commonplace like synthetic because for every genuine leather seat cover out, some animals have paid the supreme price.
Care for real leather seat cover
The process of identifying genuine leather seat cover can be painstaking because of the price and value of genuine leather. It is this reality that demands we pay close attention to how we use real leather seat and learn the way to protect the seat cover for durability. Below are tips on how to protect your genuine leather seat cover to serve you longer.
- Vacuum the leather seat cover. For most people, the car is an extension of the home and eating snacks, and other foods and fruit items are everyday habits. But dropping food crumbs on a leather seat may attract growth of micro organisms that may damage the leather material with time. Therefore, you need to vacuum the car seat regularly to remove any crumb and protect the seat cover material.
- Use gentle cleaner. Talk to your auto accessories seller about the right cleaner for a genuine leather seat cover. You need to clean your leather seat before you can treat and protect it with conditioner. Remember that leather absorbs water, so be careful not to pour water on it in the name of cleaning. Avoid using harsh soap and cleaning solution, get the right leather cleaner for optimum result.
- Treat the leather. To treat the leather is to condition it using leather condition and applicator. You need to use quality condition to maintain the greatness of your genuine leather seat cover as doing otherwise may lead to losing the vibrancy of your leather seat to poor condition and cleaning materials.
Now that we have explained what real leather and genuine leather is and also how to Identify real Leather seat cover. Are there some none-genuine leather alternative materials?
Synthetic leathers, at times made from plastics, are often used in clothing and fabrics. Artificial leather is marketed under many names, including “PU leather”, “leatherette”, “faux leather”, “vegan leather”, “PVC leather” and “pleather”.
what’s PU leather seat cover?
PU(Polyurethane Synthetic Leather) leather, combine by high elastic fiber composite. the back side is cloth / Knitted fabric as basic, have a lot of advantage that PVC leather can not compare to, the image material instead of real leather.
Pros of PU leather seat cover is softer, more flexible, and breathable.
Cons of PU leather seat cover it won’t last longer, crack or fade easily, Produced with chemicals.
what’s leatherette leather?
Leatherette is a form of artificial leather, usually made by covering a fabric base with plastic. The fabric can be made of a natural or a synthetic fibre which is then covered with a soft PVC layer.
Pros of leatherette leather seat cover is that it requires little maintenance in comparison to leather, and does not crack or fade easily.
Cons of leatherette leather seat cover is unbreathable.
what’s PVC leather?
PVC(Polyvinyl Chloride) leather is made by 3 steps: 1. combine with all kinds of the remaining scrap raw leather products 2. Minced by machine 3. re-pressed into a leather.
Pros of PVC leather seat cover: 1. Durable 2. Easily cleaned 3. Fade and stain resistant 4. Vegan
Cons of PVC leather seat cover: 1.Easily torn 2. not breathable 3. Produced with potentially carcinogenic chemicals.
what’s faux leather?
There are two primary types of faux leather construction PU leather or PVC leather, I have mention them in the top.
Pleather is plastic leather.
what’s vegan leather?
Vegan leather’s material won’t include any animal at all, it made by PU, PVC or textile-polymer composite microfibers, in another words, ‘vegan leather’ reeks, literally and figuratively, of petroleum. Accompanied by time, vegan leather’s material will have big improve.
Pros and Cons of Vegan leather seat cover, refer PU leather and PVC leather, it depends on vegan leather’s materials.
About vegan leather and Eco-friendly?
sorry, vegan leather is only help for animal, not for environment, PVC is the most toxic plastic.
For the most real leather’s material, it could be from those animal: pig, ox, horse, sheep, Did you stop eating those animal’s meat, if you’re not, “vegan leather” is just try to cheat the customer don’t know what’s it really about. the most important thing is those Synthetic leathers cost cheaper, that’s whole the reason. ec0-friendly, of course the real leather is better, if you don’t like to harm animal, stop eating animal’s meat and use cloth material. “vegan leather” is not the option, at least for now.
Depends on what you need to purchase the seat cover’s material you want, for me, for the synthetic leather, the PU leather is always be my first choice.